If you’re a regular here, or have read one or two (or three) of my posts, you’ll probably understand how feeding yourself growth mindset quotes could improve your finances overall. If you don’t quite get it yet, stick around. I’m about to share some growth mindset quotes that could change your life forever.
Motivation is a big part of getting anything done in life, and it’s definitely a big part of personal finance too. Talk to me about finances and you’ve immediately got my attention. That’s why over the years, I’ve become quite intentional about consuming growth mindset quotes and, in the process, developing a growth mindset.
But before we get into these growth mindset quotes, it only makes sense to backtrack a bit and understand what a growth mindset is.
What is a growth mindset?
I’ll start by telling you what it’s not. Ever been around people who just complain about everything? You know, the type that find a problem to every solution? The type of people that use, “That’s just who/what I am, don’t try to change me” as an excuse?
Yeah… those are the type of people to steer clear from if you’re working on developing a growth mindset. They’re going to add absolutely ZERO value to your life because they themselves have probably not prioritized a growth mindset.
Simply put, a growth mindset is adopting a more optimistic view of life; seeing opportunities where many may see obstacles and potential failure. People with a growth mindset tend to be more ambitious and driven, and you know what? They’re more likely to succeed than the average Joe because of their mindset.
Basically, what I’m trying to say is – your mindset can quite literally determine the direction your life takes. If you leave the house with your mind set on getting to the mall to buy a new gadget, you’re probably going to end up at the mall, right? Come hell or high water, you’ll find a way to get to the mall.
That’s generally the type of thinking people with a growth mindset have. They have a “nothing can get me down” personality. I’m not talking about a happy-go-lucky type of personality (between you and me, that can become quite irritating), but more of a “I’ll find a way to make it happen” type of personality.
Some of the greatest minds have shared some pretty valuable growth mindset quotes over the years. As you might’ve guessed, a lot of growth mindset quotes have to do with things that matter to us as people – you know, things like money, time, goals and success, just to name a few.
Growth mindset quotes about money and wealth
1. “You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” – Dave Ramsey
Understanding basic financial principles from a very young age is SO important (that’s why I’ve started drilling them into my kids’ heads already). A lot of people never become wealthy because they don’t know how to control their money and make it work for them – so they end up becoming a slave to it instead 🙁
2. “Never spend your money before you have it.” – Thomas Jefferson
This is one of those growth mindset quotes that people who live off their credit cards probably hate! The quickest way to fall into debt is to spend money in advance, I prefer to work on the accrual basis. Only spending and budgeting what’s already in the bank.
3. “Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.” – Ayn Rand
Ah, yes… Money is great for getting a lot of things done. But like any other tool, you control it and pretty much determine how it should work for you. It won’t magically grow over time, you have to invest in the right places in order for you to reap the benefits.
4. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison
Isn’t this essentially what separates the poor from the rich, and the rich from the wealthy? People who “have it all” are often those who are willing to go the extra mile and do what others are too fearful or unwilling to do.
5. “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned… to buy things they don’t want… to impress people that they don’t like.” – Will Rogers
The one thing that’s holding a lot of people back from financial freedom is trying to impress everyone. It’s a futile thing to try, just stop it right now. This is one of those growth mindset quotes that you write everywhere to constantly remind yourself that there’s absolutely no need to try to “keep up with the Joneses!”
6. “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time to plant a tree is today.” – Chinese Proverb
Ever heard of compound interest and the time value of money? That’s exactly why the earlier you start saving and investing, the better.
7. “I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for 10 years.” – Warren Buffett
Investing and generating wealth is a long-term game. Don’t approach it with the view of making all your money back – with interest – by tomorrow. That’s unrealistic and you should probably go back and learn the basics of finance if you think like that. I’m in real estate, so I know this all too well…
8. “Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune.” – Jim Rohn
That’s the thing about institutions of learning, they tend to teach kids how to earn a salary rather than other potentially lucrative ways of making money. Not everybody is cut out to work a 9 – 5, but they don’t tell you that at school do they? But don’t get me wrong – education is very important. Go to school, kids.
9. “Financial peace isn’t the acquisition of stuff. It’s learning to live on less than you make, so you can give money back and have money to invest. You can’t win until you do this.” – Dave Ramsey
I have a whole piece on frugal living – it’s a really great way to cut down on all the nonsense and spend your money on things that matter. Also, material possessions don’t always equate to happiness, so the way I see it, just save and invest your money instead. Nothing beats financial freedom.
10. “How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case.” – Robert G. Allen
I’ll cut this one short. Putting your money in a savings account means you’re paying bank charges while it loses its value over time. Investing is a great way to prepare for the future and you shouldn’t be afraid to take risks every now and then. High risk, high reward.
11. “Rich people have small TVs and big libraries, and poor people have small libraries and big TVs.” – Zig Zagler
This is like that “old money” versus “new money” discussion. People that are used to money don’t feel the need to be flashy because they’re used to it. Similarly, rich people probably spend more of their time educating themselves on how to acquire more wealth, rather than material things to flaunt.
12. “It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” – Robert Kiyosaki
I have a friend whose lifestyle and spending just keeps becoming more extravagant the more he earns… (Yes, the one that keeps buying new cars) which is really not the way to go about it. Ideally, any additional income should be spent on investments if you want to reach financial freedom.
13. “The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground.” – Anonymous
The world’s greatest business moguls and experts were once beginners too. Some large returns on investments may have resulted from a few dollars. When it comes to investing, you really don’t need buckets of money, what you have at your disposal could lead to something great.
Growth mindset quotes about time
14. “Every day is a bank account, and time is our currency. No one is rich, no one is poor, we’ve got 24 hours each.” – Christopher Rice
I may just add this to my list of very important growth mindset quotes. I say this A LOT – personal finance is really about using money to free up your time and do things that really matter to you. Time is an asset that we all have and must use wisely because once you lose it, it’s gone for good!
15. “Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back.” – Harvey Mackay
That was pretty much my main motivation for pursuing early retirement. I wanted to spend my time on things other than my work. That’s the truth about the rat race, your entire life becomes all work and no play. I definitely didn’t want that.
16. “Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” – Henry David Thoreau
Money affords you a lot of material things, but it can also buy you time to do what you enjoy and live the life you’ve always wanted.
17. “If you don’t value your time, neither will others. Stop giving away your time and talents. Value what you know and start charging for it.” – Kim Garst
There’s a reason why a branded item costs more than one you can get down town; there’s a certain value and prestige attached to it. Being able to attach “a price” to your time will encourage others to value it as much as you do.
18. “Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffett
Apparently this is a generation of instant gratification… which just doesn’t cut it when it comes to investing. Anything worth having takes time, and investing in something today means you may only reap the benefits many years from now.
Growth mindset quotes about failure and success
19. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
I would pay attention to any growth mindset quotes about failure and success from this guy! It’s normal to get knocked down along the way, but being able to pull yourself up and try again each time is what will make you successful.
20. “If you are going through a time of discouragement, there is a time of great personal growth ahead.” – Oswald Chambers
You never really learn anything if everything is hunky dory. It’s the tough situations that build character and teach lessons.
21. “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you’ve [got to] put up with the rain.” – Dolly Parton
Yup! This is one of those growth mindset quotes that we’ve probably all heard – you have to weather the storm and challenges to get to the other side and taste success.
22. “Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.” – Robert H. Schuller
Instead of seeing problems and dead ends, try thinking of them as indications of what not to do and how not to reach your goal. They’re life’s way of saying, “wrong turn” or “rerouting.”
23. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
This is just proof that it’s possible to turn a bad situation into a good one. You can find a solution to what may seem like the end.
24. “Successful people have fear, successful people have doubts, and successful people have worries. They just don’t let these feelings stop them.” – T. Harv Eker
We’re all human and these are feelings that we all have. Just don’t entertain them for too long.
Growth mindset quotes about setting goals
25. “If you set goals and go after them with all the determination you can muster, your gifts will take you places that will amaze you.” – Les Brown
I’m big on setting goals. They’re the starting point to pretty much anything you want to achieve. Without a clear goal to pursue, you’re going nowhere!
26. “It is not enough to take steps which may someday lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Have you ever seen those porcelain dolls that have porcelain dolls hidden inside them? (Did I just give away my age?) That’s what goals are like. One big goal can only be achieved through small and consistent daily efforts, which are actually goals themselves.
27. “Most impossible goals can be met simply by breaking them down into bite-size chunks, writing them down, believing them, and going full speed ahead as if they were routine.” – Don Lancaster
If your goal is to be a millionaire and retire by 35, it can be a bit daunting… not so much if you map out how much you need to earn, save and invest each month to achieve that. Bite-size approach is the best approach indeed.
28. “A good goal is like a strenuous exercise – it makes you stretch.” – Mary Kay Ash
A goal worth pursuing is one that will push you out of your comfort zone and force you to grow. Otherwise, you’re not really going to gain much from it.
29. “A dream written down with a date becomes a goal. A goal broken down with steps becomes a plan. A plan backed by action makes your dreams come true.” – Greg S. Reid
This is pretty self-explanatory and I couldn’t agree with it more. In fact, the best way to set a goal – so they say – is by making sure that it’s SMART. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic (Relevant) and Time-bound.
30. “I think goals should never be easy. They should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time.” – Michael Phelps
You’re probably not going to want to hear this, but a certain level of discomfort is necessary to grow. It’s the only way to push yourself to the next level.
FAQs: What is a growth mindset motto?
Okay, if we break this concept down and consider the growth mindset quotes above, it becomes somewhat easier to understand. A motto sums your view or ideals, so a growth mindset motto is a phrase that you adopt to encourage a mindset shift. It’s something that acts as a mental reminder to focus on growth and keeping your eye on the prize at all times.